One great thing
Quick and valuable ideas or stories you can read, watch, listen to, or grab & take with you that can make your day brighter, your work more effective, your job more fun, your challenges less challenging, or simply to make you smile.
The 3 Trainees: A vintage video classic
10.26.21 - 4-minute video
This vintage video from the Advantage film archive features Dennis Dressler, a former Advantage senior partner, interviewing Dr. Robert O. Brinkerhoff, the creator of High Impact Learning Systems®, who portrays 3 types of trainees at a typical learning event. We've just refreshed our certification curriculum for High Impact Learning Systems: The Advantage Way, which helps learning leaders drive the business impact their stakeholders love through targeted, measurable learning initiatives. More info at apg1.us/aw
The Multipliers mini learning journey
10.19.21 - Revisit our Multipliers mini learning journey as we celebrate Liz Wiseman's new book
Take the accidental diminisher quiz, define your native genius, and discover how and why to play fewer chips: The Multipliers Mini Learning Journey. Related: Threat or opportunity? Multipliers author Liz Wiseman explores the source of professional brilliance and discovers "opportunity goggles" in her just-launched new book, Impact Players.
Diagnose a decision
Psychological safety and team success
09.28.21 - Amy Edmondson, the Novartis Professor of Leadership and Management at Harvard Business School, introduced the construct of "team psychological safety" that became a core tool in Google's re:Work guide for teams. In her TEDx talk, Edmondson offers 3 things individuals can do to foster team psychological safety. Related: Psychological safety in a hybrid world
Peace, love, inclusion
2 more weeks of free wellness coaching
09.14.21 - TaskHuman CEO Ravi Swaminathan spoke at this week’s Zoomtopia 2021 on Investing in Employee Well-Being and Happiness for Agility and Retention. TaskHuman’s Head of Sales Matt Prostko was a guest facilitator at our own webinar in June on Making Wellness a Strategy and generously provided free access through the end of September 2021 to their TaskHuman wellness app for all of our attendees and those viewing the replay. It’s not too late to enjoy 2 more weeks of great wellness coaching. Sign up here for immediate access! Related: Burnout syndrome
Why great leaders need empathy
The real job of a leader is not about being in charge, it's about taking care of those in our charge. I don't think people realize this, and I don't think people train for this."
09.07.21 - Simon Sinek's talk on empathy has been called one of the greatest speeches of all time and is more relevant today than ever. In this TED Talk, Sinek talks about why great leaders make you feel safe.
Back in time: The future of work in 2020
Also, If you've been following our updates about our colleague Terry Speer's son, we just heard some great news! Twins to promote Olympic Medalist Joe Ryan, slated to start Wednesday
Back to school: Thank a teacher
08.24.21 - 7:48 video - Every kid needs a champion | Rita Pierson
A teacher for 40 years, Rita Pierson challenges educators to believe in their students and actually connect with them on a real, human, personal level.
- Brush up your leadership skills with our back-to-school series
Take our virtual school bus to 6 free mini classes that will help you lead your organization into the Future of Work (It's already here! Are you ready?)
- Talent Development Tuesday
Back to school - Making the world a better place, one pop quiz at a time.
- Advantage Client Services Specialist Terry Speer, Olympic mom
A look at Joe Ryan’s journey to Japan and back through the eyes of his biggest fan
- Baseball’s Team USA: Gold in our hearts
Team USA finished the Olympic series with a silver medal. Joe Ryan, son of Advantage Client Services Specialist Terry Speer, and teammate Shane Baz reflect on what it means to represent their country.
- The podcast we love and sponsor - Here's a recent episode from the Talent Development Hot Seat with Andy Storch: Helping our people avoid burnout with Leah Weiss
- The Parents Matter featuring Joe Ryan | Ballplayers Like Us
For the moms and dads behind athletes at every level
- Why a good book is a secret door
Childhood is surreal. Why shouldn’t children’s books be? In this whimsical talk, award-winning author Mac Barnett speaks about writing that escapes the page, art as a doorway to wonder — and what real kids say to a fictional whale.
- Financial formulas cheat sheet - This popular resource is from Brent Snow at 10,000 Feet, creators of the popular simulation Interplay, the interactive game-based workshop that’s been called a “mini MBA in a Day.” It’s a handy reference of the key financial ratios all business leaders must know.
- Noble Purpose impact mapping activity – Use this tool to help you articulate how you make a difference in the world, courtesy of our thought leader partner Lisa McLeod, global expert on Noble Purpose in business.
- Talent development for a new generation – Young professionals crave and need development. Here’s how to connect with them and get it right. Take a free (mini) learning journey featuring research and tools from our thought leader partner Christine DiDonato of Career Revolution, a recognized leader in career development.
- Tap into the Power of Storytelling with our thought leader partner and influence/communications expert Kelly Dozois. Get started with our all-In-one interactive PDF, which contains the replay, audio, visuals, and a link to the story tool from Influencing with Story™
- Go along on OCEARCH’s 40th white shark expedition held a few months ago off the North Atlantic coast, discover fin facts, track sharks, and learn their names.
- Rethink wellness in the workplace - Why it's more important than ever to make wellness a strategy
- A Dog’s Tale –Happy memories of a trail dog’s life well lived.
This 9-minute cinematic marvel especially for dog people will surely tug at your heartstrings.
- Squirrels up close and personal. Here’s a diversion that’s just for fun. It may look and sound like a scene from Mission Impossible, but Phat Gus, Rick, Marty, and Frank exhibit almost human-like problem-solving skills to figure out a complex backyard obstacle course.
- Shane Snow's Book List - Shane is an award-winning entrepreneur, explorer, and journalist-and the bestselling author, and was a special guest facilitator for our webinar on How to Think Differently.
- It Was a Dark and Stormy Night - Shane Snow’s DREAM TEAMS keynote on thinking differently.
- Just say YES - Shonda Rhimes on TED - the TV titan behind Grey’s Anatomy, Scandal, and How to Get Away With Murder, describes how her journey of incredible transformation started with a single word.
- The power pose – The verdict may still be inconclusive according to science, but given the challenges we’ve faced this year and last, we’re going all-in on Amy Cuddy’s theory that powerful poses can help people feel more powerful.
- Have fun with us on Instagram - because great people wanna have fun
- Take the road less traveled - At Yahoo! Labs in Barcelona, Daniele Quercia and his colleagues imagine new ways to use online maps to improve our lives and offer not just the shortest routes, but the most enjoyable.
- Make your Zoom meetings more fun - At our recent webinar on future-back thinking, facilitator Peter Mulford planned to share a slide his colleagues at BTS created that had been popular at one of their virtual events across the world but decided to leave it out due to time constraints. Here’s the slide he shared with us (on a scale of cat…). Here's another version for dog people.
- Turn rookies into valuable team players - College basketball coaching legend John Beilein describes how he built relationships with rookies to help them become valuable team players. He spoke withAdvantage CEO Jon Hodge as part of our recent national sales meeting.
- Recruit and build a great team - One of the greatest coaches in the history of college basketball, John Beilein talks about team-building with Advantage CEO Jon Hodge.
- Connect with your body, mind, and spirit - Take a few minutes from your busy day to reconnect with your inner bliss as Anita Steele, a wellness coach at TaskHuman, guides you through the 5 layers of well-being.
- Avoid remote work burnout - Too much screen time, too many video calls and too few boundaries make working remotely hard for all of us. Podcast host and writer Morra Aarons-Mele shares advice on protecting your energy and your limits.
- Become a great leader - Dr. Linda Hill, author of Being the Boss, explains the 3 Imperatives for Becoming a Great Leader via the Giide interactive auditory learning platform. Listen now!
- Onboarding new hires: 9 ways to get It right - Bringing a new hire up to speed isn’t just about performance. Build an emotional connection by helping them understand your organization’s values, your purpose, and your culture.
- Be optimistic - Positive thinking isn’t just for making yourself feel better. It’s a strategy backed by science that can improve your relationships and your business results. Find out why in this short video by Lori Urban, a partner at Advantage Performance Group and a facilitator for the BlueEQ™ emotional intelligence self-assessment and workshop.
- Take my quest - Building a great corporate culture is more important now than ever, especially with the ongoing challenges of remote work and a relentless pandemic. Discover the jewels that build a great culture with the free resources in our Culture Quest.
- Sunlight & Shadows - Wellness coach Stephanie Meriaux of TaskHuman shares a mindfulness exercise to help you expand your perspective, create rich discussions, or build psychological safety. Use it for yourself, your family, your friends, or your team.
- Live in a thousand joys of the present moment - The actor John O’Hurley provides a source for hope in 2021. Related: Go fish
- Spread some Christmas cheer - Dr. Elmo, the original performing artist for the iconic Christmas comedy song, Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer, sends Advantage Performance Group a special holiday greeting we’d like to share with you courtesy of Shirley Dahl, our client services manager. Related: We believe
- A great Dolly Parton story - She rose from poverty to stardom with a great singing voice, beautiful prose, and incredible ambition, but it’s her wisdom, sense of humor, and generous heart that will stand the test of time.
- Include the introvert - Susan Cain, author of the book Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can’t Stop Talking, is revolutionizing how people think about the virtues and abilities of those who tend to look inward in this classic TED Talk from 2012.
- Make everyone smarter - Mutipliers resources from our webinar
- Give thanks - Brother David Steindl-Rast, a Benedictine monk and interfaith scholar, presents a TED Talk about gratitude as the source of happiness.
- Own your career, own your life - With so much going on around us that is out of our control, this is the “missing manual” for 2020 and beyond. Andy Storch, host of the Talent Development Hot Seat podcast, co-founder of The Talent Development Think Tank, a former partner with Advantage Performance Group, and now a newly minted author, wants you to reach new heights by taking charge of your life.
- Discover your noble purpose - Author/speaker and thought leader Lisa McLeod on why having a Noble Purpose at the core of your business is more important now than ever because organizations who don’t will get left behind. (Bonus: Watch Lisa's TED Talk.)
- Celebrate our shared humanity - Take a lovely moment to listen to Maya Angelou reading her poem Human Family from I Shall Not Be Moved, her fifth collection of poetry published in 1990.
- Be a great Zoom producer - Download the producer checklists from a training program we created called Backstage Magic, culled from our many hours of experience producing and facilitating training and conducting webinars on the Zoom meeting platform.
- Build trust - Find out the 2 critical elements you need to build trust, especially if you’re working remotely, from our webinar with Dr. Linda A. Hill, Harvard Business School professor, author of the acclaimed management classic Being the Boss, and founding partner, Paradox Strategies.
- One Great Thing Archive: Older picks in more detail